Monday, August 3, 2015

Shop Spotlight: Curious & Fanciful

Hello, everybody, and welcome to another installation of our Shop Spotlight series! This week we are featuring Curious & Fanciful, a truly unique shop with incredible hand-painted and letterpress designs.


What year did you open your shop? 2008
What is your shop's motto? Live Long and Prosper

One of Katrina's letterpress designs.

What is your favorite item that you sell? For my large shows, especially Jingle Bash, I make 4 or 5 glass shadow boxes to sell. They are very unique gifts. I reproduce my feather and butterfly paintings, cut them out, and shape them to look real. I then mount them in hand-crafted glass boxes to hang on the wall. People can't believe they are paper!

A butterfly in-process

The finished 3-D paper butterfly

Watercolor feathers

What is a fun fact about you? I can write with my toes!

Katrina spends much of her free time painting larger canvas pieces.

How did you get started? I grew up in a small town and never had the opportunity to be involved in art classes because my electives were filled up with band and journalism. When I moved to Denton to study interior design at UNT, I learned that I had quite a bit of catching up to do. I had always loved doodling, but never considered it my calling. Suddenly, I was immersed in fine arts classes studying drawing, design, and computers in art, model making, color theory, and print making. I even did some study abroad in the Czech Republic to learn about Mucha, Art Nouveau, and architecture. I also learned a lot about beer, and got engaged!

When I returned home, I decided to change my major to Art History, and began planning my wedding. I fell head over heels for letterpress wedding invitations and HAD to have them. Better yet, I had to make my own. Better yet, this is what I could do after college! One thing lead to another, and before I knew it, I had convinced my future husband and father to take a road trip to Kansas City to purchase a Chandler & Price letterpress made in 1897.

I graduated with a degree in Interdisciplinary Arts & Design Studies because I truly studied a little bit of everything to try and find my niche. What I found was that I am passionately curious about learning new art mediums. I am curious and fanciful, and my shop is all about different types of art and what you can do with a little bit of practice and courage.


Thanks so much, Katrina! What a wonderful insight into your life as an artist. We're so glad to have you along as a team member!


You can find out more about Curious & Fanciful on her social media sites: Twitter // Instagram // Web // Blog



1 comment:

Gabriela said...

Yay!! Love this, you are such a talented and beautiful artist. Thank you for sharing your passion with the world

Related Posts with Thumbnails