I came across this amazing recipe for Tiramisu Cupcakes from the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. In this book you can find 75 dairy free recipes for cupcakes that simply rule! I know, I know, when you hear the words "dairy free" it's usually followed by a groan. But I swear by this recipe and trust me! No one will ever know they are vegan or even remotley close to it. I made these for my family at a birthday party and someone actually thought they were bakery bought. I couldn't believe it!
First! Make the vegan cream cheese frosting. You will need:
1/4 cup nonhydrogogenated margarine (softened)
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese (softened)
2 cups of confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Cream together the margarine and cream cheese until just combined.
2. Use a handheld mixer to whip while adding the confectioners sugar in 1/2 cup batches. Mix until smooth and creamy, then mix in the vanilla.
3. Keep tightly covered and refrigerate until ready to use.
Second! Prepare the cupcake batter. You will need:
1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside a few minuted to get good and curdled.
3. Beat together the soymilk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, and other extracts in a large bowl. Sift in the cornstarch, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until no large lumps remain.
4. Fill cupcake liners to two thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes till done. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completley before frosting.
Last! Finish the cupcakes. You will need:
1/3 cup espresso or strong coffee
1/3 cup Kahlua or other coffee flavored liqueur
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
12 chocolate covered coffee beans or chocolate chips
1. Mix together the espresso and Kahlua.
2. Use a measuring spoon, a regular teaspoon, or a paring knife to carve out a small cone in the center of the cupcake. Place spoon about 1 inch from the center of the cupcake, then dig the spoon in about 1 inch deep and cut a circle around the center. Carefully, scoop out a cone, trying your best to keep the chunk as intact as possible.
3. Pout the Kahlua mixture in the cavity of the cut cupcake, making sure that all sides of the cavity are drenched, using up to 2 tablespoons of liquid per cupcake.
4. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the vegan cream cheese frosting you prepared earlier into the cavity and smooth over with the back of the spoon. (Make sure to reserve a few tablespoons of frosting to dallop on top of the cupcake). Dip the bottom of the cut out chunk into the Kahlua mixture, but keep the top part of it dry. Place the cut out chunk on top of the frosting and gently pat it into place. Continue this process with the remaining cupcakes.
5. Place chocolate and cinnamoninto a small strainer and dust over the cupcakes. Dallop a small amount of frosting on top and place the chocolate covered coffee bean on the dollop. Let sit for about 10 minutes and serve. Makes 12 cupcakes.
These do get a little messy! So serve on a little plate with a fork. They are simply to die for! Your guests will be impressed.
- Margaret of Three Yellow Starfish