Monday, March 28, 2011

Get Cozy with childsPLAYdesign!

Well, talk about perfect timing… just when a cold front hits that makes us want to curl up with a cozy quilt, we feature Laura Childs of childsPLAYdesign! She can make everything from quilted throws and plush pillows to cute retro inspired aprons.

So how did Laura get started? “A little over a year ago after a long retail career, I decided to go into business for myself. I call myself a repurposed hippie because my first job out of college (where I was a modern dance major) was at a local mom & pop crafts supply shop. I taught needlepoint & macramĂ© & learning weaving, eventually going into business with the weaving instructor. Unfortunately that didn't pay the bills. Skip to present day & thanks to a past wonderful home ec teacher (do they still even teach that in high school any more?) & an inspiring quilt teacher, I am pursuing the fun of sewing. My purpose for crafts has been reborn!” We sure are glad you returned to the craft world, Laura!



Like her shop name implies, she focuses on fun, playful, and bright colors and patterns in her work. When asked about what inspires her, she states “I am constantly ripping pages out of magazines or catalogs that have interesting shapes and/or colors. I take my little digital camera with me on my daily walks with my dogs & am constantly taking environmental shots that I see can be reinterpreted with fabric somehow.”



She currently lives in Farmers Branch with two dogs (she spreads her love of dogs with donations to Best Friends Animal Shelter in Utah) and an enviable collection of fabric… I would love to raid her closets! You will see her focusing more on quilted items and art quilts in the future.


Catch childsPLAYdesign at the upcoming Spring Bash and online at childsplaydesign.etsy.com (free shipping to the continental US!)

3 comments:

jenni said...

I wish our HS taught Home Ec because I'd go back to school and get certified!

Funky Finds said...

I'm a big fan of Laura AND her creations! She is so friendly & personable, as well as talented.

taniamc said...

I agree with Jessica! Laura is crazy talented, but she is also just one of the nicest people you will ever meet! She does custom orders too... I can't wait to get mine! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails