Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Member Spotlight: Local Honey

Hi everyone! This is Meredith from Sheepish Knitting & Crochet. I am excited to introduce you to Kelly Christine and her lovely shop Local Honey. I hope you enjoy getting to know this inspiring lady! 



Hi Kelly! Tell us a little bit about yourself. 
Hey there! Thanks again, Meredith, for choosing to interview me! Now a little about myself... I'm a 21-year-old cat lover and small business owner. I come from the tiny East Texas town of Golden (population 300), but moved to Dallas almost 3 years ago to start school and a new adventure. Since then, I've finished college and have 2 businesses,  Local Honey (my Etsy shop!) and Kelly Christine Photo + Films (my wedding & portrait photo/video biz). When I'm not shooting a wedding or making an Etsy order, you could find me eating Mexican food, blogging, spending time with my honey or working on a craft project.







How did you get started sewing your beautiful burlap pillows?
I have loved sewing since my Grandmother taught me at 13, but it wasn't until I attended school that I really got to focus on my sewing skills. I attended a small college nearby and got a dual associates degree in fashion design & merchandising. Once graduation time came around and all of the school projects were finished, I was feeling creatively frustrated. I was so used to being in school and making something everyday, so when I was done, I was thinking..."Okay. Now what?" Since I was passionate about sewing and had a lot of ideas, I thought I should open an Etsy shop. At that time, I was interning at a local children's boutique called Little Bean. I approached the owner one day about my ideas, and she encouraged me to go for it. It only took me about a week to decide on a name and what exactly I would be selling. 




You also create lovely watercolor paintings! Where did that skill come from?
I come from a long line of all kinds of artists: painters, graphic designers, wood carvers, soap makers, sheep farmers, authors...the list goes on. I have always loved to paint, but while in school, I rarely ever got to. It was only just recently that I got inspired to pick it back up again. Watercolor is my favorite, and I really love making custom items for people. I wanted to change up my shop a little bit and thought this was a perfect way to do so!



Do you have any advice for other young people (like myself) who want to make a career out of a passion for crafts and creativity?
My advice would be just to go for it! Right now. Find something that you really, really love and are passionate about. Make sure it's something you're 100% proud of and want to share with the world. It might take a while to get to where you want to be, but that makes it all the more rewarding. I'm also a believer in making your own rules. There's no handbook to starting a business. Figure it out, and make it happen! :-] I also have an amazing support system behind me. My parents are both small business owners too, so I'm always asking them for advice! 



What is your favorite part about Dallas? Favorite shop? Restaurant?
Coming from such a small town, it really took me a while to accept Dallas as my home... But over the last few years, I've grown to love it so much. My favorite thing about this city is probably my neighborhood. I live off Henderson around the M-streets & Greenville Ave. If you don't know this area, you need to! I love all the independent shops, restaurants, and the people. My favorite store in Dallas (this is a tough one) is probably The Gypsy Wagon. Aside from having amazing stuff, it's also within walking distance to my house (that can be a bad thing for my wallet!) My favorite coffee shop/drink stop is definitely Pearl Cup. My favorite restaurant at the moment is Bankok City. They've got the best thai food around!





Describe your creative personality in three words.
I think the phrase "work in progress" could describe my creative personality pretty well. It seems I'm never quite finished with something whether it be my website design, a new pillow idea, or the layout of my living room furniture. At times, I wish my creative brain had an "on/off" switch, haha. 

Thank you so much, Kelly!

Visit Kelly around the web:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails