Monday, March 21, 2011

Tefi: The Definition of Awesome!

Up next in our member spotlight series is the founder of Etsy Dallas: Stephanie Hindall of Tefi! And let me tell you, she is one cool chick. She started out selling her handmade jewelry to friends and family, and in June of 2006 she opened her Etsy shop to reach a broader audience. “I was also too scared at that point to sell at shows, so I thought putting my stuff out there behind the safety of a computer screen would ease me into selling my handmade goods,” says Stephanie. Well, I’d say she got over that fear – in September 2007 she started Etsy Dallas to create an active craft community, which has become one of the most prominent teams within Etsy!

Not only are the products Stephanie makes absolutely to-die-for, but she really places an emphasis on unique, sustainable materials. “I work with rare, designer and vintage scraps of fabric that were destined to be thrown out. Repurposing them, I create new pretty things such as necklaces, hair clips, brooches and wall art. I also still do some beading with a focus on natural materials such as felted wool (I needle felt all my own beads), nuts and seeds my mom brought me back from the Colombian rainforest, and Ming dynasty pottery shards - broken pieces of old pottery repurposed into pendants.”

Stephanie is also an expert at infusing each item with its own unique personality… her necklaces will have you dreaming of Cabo, Japanese zen gardens, and everything in between. And while you are dreaming of your island in the sun, feel good knowing that a portion of all Tefi’s proceeds goes to local animal rescue groups.


Stephanie is an animal rescuer herself – her pup Oliver and cat Zoe both found a home with Tefi! She lives in Oak Cliff with absolutely adorable 2-year-old son Ian and supportive baby-daddy Jason. (One of the many awesome things about being her neighbor: Ian used to wear these shoes with squeakers in them, and every so often I’d hear a little squeak-squeak-squeak toddling up the street… still makes me giggle!) A professional grant writer and fundraiser, she does not know the meaning of the word ‘sleep,’ but in her limited amount of free time enjoys watching BBC movies, writing, martial arts, and dancing to Kool + the Gang with Ian. Steph, can we make that happen at the Spring Bash?


You can shop for your own Tefi originals online at www.tefi.etsy.com, at her booth in Oak Cliff at Indie Genius, or at the upcoming Spring Bash.

www.tefidesigns.com

www.tefidesigns.blogspot.com

twitter - @tefidesigns

www.facebook.com/pages/Tefi-Designs/

2 comments:

ForPetsSake said...

Great showcase of an interesting and creative lady! You have beautiful goodies and I love that you're an animal lover and rescuer. Glad to meet you.

Katrina said...

That blue-bird-china necklace is a show stopper! Great profile!

Related Posts with Thumbnails