Monday, July 6, 2009

Cooking with Etsy Dallas: Tiramisu Cupcakes

I came across this amazing recipe for Tiramisu Cupcakes from the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. In this book you can find 75 dairy free recipes for cupcakes that simply rule! I know, I know, when you hear the words "dairy free" it's usually followed by a groan. But I swear by this recipe and trust me! No one will ever know they are vegan or even remotley close to it. I made these for my family at a birthday party and someone actually thought they were bakery bought. I couldn't believe it!

First! Make the vegan cream cheese frosting. You will need:

1/4 cup nonhydrogogenated margarine (softened)
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese (softened)
2 cups of confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Second! Prepare the cupcake batter. You will need:

1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract

Last! Finish the cupcakes. You will need:

1/3 cup espresso or strong coffee
1/3 cup Kahlua or other coffee flavored liqueur
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
12 chocolate covered coffee beans or chocolate chips


These do get a little messy, so serve on a little plate with a fork. They are simply to die for! Your guests will be impressed. Enjoy!

-Margaret of Three Yellow Starfish

CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMPLETE RECIPE WITH INSTRUCTIONS.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know that these cupcakes would be vegan if made with regular granulated sugar. It is my understanding that granulated sugar gets the white coloring from bleached animal bones. Turbinado sugar may be a better option for "vegan" cupcakes.

Three Yellow Starfish said...

Im happy to help out the team blog! :) Let me know if any of you try this recipe! In my opinion, they are TO DIE FOR! I'll have to make some for everyone sometime! Maybe for the Jingle Bash! :)

LaAlicia said...

YUMMY!

Three Yellow Starfish said...

I think it depends on how "hardcore" of a vegan you are. There are several replacments you can use such as unbleached cane sugar or stevia. Some of my friends overlook that while others are fully into the straight raw vegan diet. There are always replacments and prefrences..I was just going by what the recipe from the book said. We prefer using stevia :) Hope that helps!

Three Yellow Starfish said...

sucanat is also a really really great replacer for any granulated sugar

Related Posts with Thumbnails